Saturday, September 19, 2009

Family Lunches.

Her: What are you planning on doing after you graduate? Television?
Susan: Are you going to be a TV reporter, like on Global?
Me: No. I hate being in front of the camera. I get awkward and feel uncomfortable.
Susan: You'd be great on camera. Why don't you want to be on camera?
Me: I just don't like it. We had to do a couple Journalism bits infront of the camera last year, and I couldn't remember what I was supposed to say.
Her: Well I can tell you'd be a great reporter. You're a good talker, and you've got the look. I used to be in Journalism. You could do it easily, there's way more money in it too. And you'd be able to travel all over the world.
Cindy: Yeah you should do it. You'd be good on camera.
Me: I like writing advertisements.

Her: So what are you going to do in advertising then?
Me: I want to do copywriting for radio, or work at an advertising agency.
Her: What's your plan b?
Me: Um... I'm just planning on putting in my time and moving up the ranks.
Her: Well I wouldn't count on it. By the time you're 30, they'll eat you up and spit you out and find someone better to replace you. Trust me, I know. I used to work at an advertising agency in Edmonton. The only people who stay on past 30 are all alcoholics or druggies.
Me: Oh.
Her: Trust me. You don't want to end up like that. You're not going to go anywhere unless you do something with Journalism. Have you considered web reporting? I really think you should be on TV.

This is the conversation I had with my cousin Cindy's aunt Susan's cousin (whose name I do not know).
She: a) only uses her phone for talking b)only uses her mac for emailing c)only checks her email once a week d)referred to Twitter as "a useless waste of bandwidth."

Rosh Hashanah lunch was a lovely one. Tonight I'm going to party like it's 5669.

No comments:

Post a Comment